The St. Luke College in Jos belonging to the Anglican diocese of Jos located at Rantya state lowcost housing estate lost properties worth millions as 2 of their buildings housing female students was totally gutted down by fire before the men of the fire service save the rest of the school.
The fire incident was said to have started around 8am from the female hostel housing about 120 female students. Two of the hostels having 40 female students were completely razed down by the inferno before the fire service came to the rescue.
Speaking with the principal, Rev. Paul Dajur said no lives were lost or injury recorded. “It happened in the early hours of this morning when the students were at the Chapel for our morning devotions, nobody died and no student got injured” he said.
“You can see out of the 5 female hostels in the school, these 2 hostels occupied by 20 students each making a total of 40 students has been completely burnt down. At the moment we are putting modalities to see how we can accommodate our students in the remaining hostels and probably convert some classrooms temporary for their use. There was no electricity, but the generator that powered the entire school was running so we anticipate maybe it was some electrical faults somewhere, above all we thank God that no life was lost,” he said.
Speaking with one of the fire servicemen, Mr. Wuyep Nanmua said, “This morning at about 8am I receive a call on my way to work that St. Luke college is on fire, I called the office for them to move the water truck to the school immediately. We got there and discovered 2 hostels already engulfed by fire and have escalated because there were fuel materials there like mattresses, boxes, books which help in fueling the fire”.
He said it took them about an hour to quenched the fire, “we were faced with the challenge of easy road access.”
A visit to St. Luke’s College by our correspondent met with fire service men still on ground with their truck, monitoring the incident.
Student’s luggages were gathered outside the school premises while parents keep trooping into the school to ascertain their children’s safety.