Month: November 2025

NECO Expands Global Reach as Burkina Faso Schools Secure Accreditation

Abuja — The National Examinations Council (NECO) has extended its international footprint to Burkina Faso after granting full accreditation to several schools to conduct the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) and the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).

In a statement on Sunday, signed by the Acting Director of Information and Public Relations, NECO, Azeez Sani, the council accreditation team visited the approved schools where they carried out a comprehensive evaluation to determine their readiness for the examinations.

According Sani the team assessed classrooms, libraries, laboratories, workshops, computer labs, examination halls, sports facilities, continuous assessment records, as well as teacher adequacy and school security.

According to NECO, all evaluated institutions met the required standards and have now been approved to host SSCE and BECE examinations. The Council described the development as a reaffirmation of its mission to enhance access to credible assessment services across Africa.

The expansion into Burkina Faso follows NECO’s recent establishment of a centre in London and is in addition to existing centres in Togo, Benin Republic, Niger Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire, and Saudi Arabia.

Nigeria’s Ambassador to Burkina Faso, Ambassador M.D. Galadima, praised NECO’s efforts during a courtesy visit by the accreditation team to the Nigerian Embassy in Ouagadougou.

He noted that Nigerian families in the Francophone nation had long struggled due to differences in educational systems and the shortage of English-language schools.

“Previously, parents had to take their children to Saki in Oyo State to register and write the examination. This exposed them to security risks and imposed significant financial strain on families,” he said.

Galadima added that the newly accredited centres will ease this burden, improving access for school owners and parents.

Dr. Uche Ezenwanne, leader of NECO’s accreditation team, explained that the approval allows Nigerian students living in Burkina Faso to take NECO examinations without travelling back home, reinforcing the Council’s prominence as a leading examining body on the continent.

11 Nigerian Research Teams Unveil Cutting-Edge Prototypes at TETFund Demo

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) on Thursday celebrated a breakthrough in Nigeria’s innovation drive as eleven research teams from tertiary institutions nationwide unveiled novel prototypes at the closing ceremony and Demo Day of the TETFund Alliance for Innovative Research (TETFAIR).

Speaking at the event, TETFund Executive Secretary, Arch. Sonny Echono said the milestone underscored the Fund’s growing impact in supporting research and development across the country. He noted that the initiative, delivered in partnership with the Academic Solutions Incubation Programme (ASIP), Science Granting Council Initiative (SGCI) and INCUB8 Programmes, reflects a renewed push to translate research into practical solutions.

“Your presence demonstrates support for the Fund’s unwavering commitment to advancing research and development in Nigeria,” Echono said. “Over the years, various initiatives, policies, and strategies have been introduced to reduce unemployment, alleviate poverty, and improve our socio-economic well-being. Yet many challenges persist. It has, therefore, become imperative to adopt a more sustainable approach rooted in science, technology, and innovation.”

He explained that the journey began with the launch of the Research for Impact (R4i) and Transformative Innovation Workshop (TIW) in 2021, expanded to TETFAIR in 2022, and later incorporated ASIP, SGCI-funded projects and INCUB8 in 2024. These programmes, he said, provide structured pathways for commercialising research through intensive training and incubation cycles.

During the pitch session, the eleven teams showcased solutions spanning agriculture, energy, ICT, health, security, and manufacturing. Notable prototypes included Funfit, a fitness-powered electricity generator; Rampokids, a nutritious cereal for young children; Solarmilkpro, a solar-powered milking machine; Flo-Vend, an automated menstrual materials dispenser; and Tripleshield Agro, an eco-friendly pesticide.

The event reaffirmed TETFund’s commitment to driving innovation aligned with national priorities.

UBEC Vows Stronger School Protection After Deadly Kebbi Attack



Abuja, Nigeria — The Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) says it is intensifying collaboration with government partners, security agencies, community leaders, and State Universal Basic Education Boards (SUBEBs) to improve the security of schools nationwide following Monday’s deadly attack on Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.

In a statement issued on Wednesday  in  Abuja, UBEC reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that “no child’s education is disrupted by fear.”

The Commission described the incident—which claimed the life of a teacher and led to the abduction of several schoolgirls—as a devastating blow to the education sector and the nation.

UBEC’s Executive Secretary, Aisha Garba, conveyed deep sympathy to the Kebbi State Government, the State SUBEB, and families affected by the tragedy. She paid tribute to the slain teacher, calling teacher “a brave soul who made the ultimate sacrifice while doing what teachers across our nation do every day—caring for and protecting our children.”

Garba also extended prayers for the injured staff member and solidarity to the parents of the abducted students, assuring them that UBEC stands firmly with them in their grief and uncertainty.

She emphasized that the Commission will continue to work with security agencies and state governments—particularly Kebbi State—to reinforce school safety and support traumatised communities.

“Today, we mourn alongside Kebbi State,” she said. “We stand together—in grief, in solidarity, and in unwavering resolve to ensure that our schools remain safe places of learning.”

The attack on the Maga school has renewed national concerns over the security of education facilities, especially in communities vulnerable to banditry and insurgent activity.

JAMB Conducts Global CBT Exams for 6,000 Civil Servants


ABUJA, NIGERIA — The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Thursday conducted a computer-based test (CBT) promotional examination for 6,000 Directorate Cadre civil servants under the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF).

The exercise, held at the JAMB CBT Centre in Kogo, Bwari, Abuja, simultaneously took place in four countries — the United Kingdom, the United States, India, and Egypt — marking the first time the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) adopted JAMB’s digital testing system for staff promotion.

Speaking with journalists, JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede described the development as “a bold and visionary initiative” by the Civil Service Commission.

“This is a major step towards digital governance,” Oloyede said. “Anyone who can operate a mobile phone can sit this exam. It’s simple, transparent, and fully automated. We’ve deployed our personnel across four countries for this historic exercise.”

He noted that the initiative would help reduce the fear of technology among civil servants and promote transparency in promotions.

FCSC Chairman, Prof. Adetunji Olaopa said it was the first-ever CBT-based promotion examination in the commission’s history. “It’s a little step but a significant one,” he said. “We’ve built confidence by partnering with JAMB, an institution with decades of credibility and technological expertise.”

Similarly, Commissioner Dr. Hussaini Adamu praised the exercise’s smooth execution, citing efficient logistics, remote CCTV monitoring, and conducive testing conditions. “Candidates are impressed and find this process far more transparent than pen-and-paper tests,” he said.

Officials said the commission would review the exercise and explore expanding the digital system nationwide in future promotion cycles.

TETFund to Establish Fire Stations Across Public Universities

ABUJA, NIGERIA — The Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) has announced plans to establish fire stations in public universities across the country, in a move aimed at strengthening fire prevention, rapid emergency response, and the protection of critical national assets in higher institutions.

The Executive Secretary of TETFund, Arc. Sonny Echono disclosed the initiative on Thursday during a courtesy visit by the Comptroller-General of the Federal Fire Service (FFS), Samuel Olumode Adeyemi, to the Fund’s headquarters in Abuja.

Echono noted that TETFund has over the years invested trillions of naira in academic infrastructure, research facilities, and capacity-building across federal and state-owned tertiary institutions, explaining that safeguarding these investments requires sustained fire safety preparedness.

“We cannot deliver infrastructure without ensuring safety. Prevention is key,” Echono said. “Our goal is to equip institutions with functional hydrants, sprinklers, smoke detectors, and to train personnel capable of responding effectively to emergencies. We have experienced two fire incidents in our own facility within one year, which underscores the urgency of this intervention.”

He added that TETFund is working toward a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Federal Fire Service to support training, fire risk assessment, equipment deployment, and safety audits in universities and other tertiary institutions.

In his remarks, the Fire Service Comptroller-General, Adeyemi, commended TETFund for its transformative infrastructure projects, but raised concern over increasing cases of fire outbreaks in universities.

“In 2024 alone, we recorded fire incidents in three federal universities, including hostels where several rooms were destroyed and some students lost their lives,” he said.

He called for the installation of fire defence systems in both new and existing structures funded by TETFund and the establishment of fire response units on campuses.

Adeyemi said the FFS is prepared to deploy trained personnel and fire trucks, while also collaborating on training through its six national academies.

TETFund Seeks Future-Ready Public Service to Drive National Development

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Executive Secretary of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), Arc. Sonny Echono, has called for a transformative shift in Nigeria’s public service to build a new generation of officers equipped to respond to rapid changes in governance, technology, and development challenges.

Echono made the call on Wednesday while receiving the Administrator of the Public Service Institute of Nigeria (PSIN), Barr. Imeh Okon, and her delegation during a courtesy visit to the Fund’s headquarters in Abuja.

He noted that public institutions are operating in an era defined by fast-paced disruptions and evolving public expectations, adding that the civil service must evolve beyond routine administration to actively drive national development.

“We need a core of officers who can respond to disruptions and elevate the quality of public service to meet society’s changing needs,” Echono said. “There has been a level of disquiet about whether the public service is meeting its obligations. It must become an instrument for facilitating rapid economic and social development.”

The TETFund Chief highlighted capacity development as central to public service reform, noting that the Fund has consistently invested in staff training to strengthen institutional performance and decision-making. He also pointed to TETFund’s collaboration with PSIN and JAMB to digitise administrative systems, including the adoption of real-time paperless promotion examinations.

Responding, PSIN Administrator Barr. Okon expressed readiness to deepen partnerships with TETFund on leadership development, compliance training, and pre-retirement planning. She outlined new PSIN frameworks, including SMART-P and LEAD-P, designed to equip civil servants with core competencies and prepare emerging leaders for higher responsibilities.

She also proposed strengthening linkages between academic research and public policy, noting, “Policy should be proactive, not reactive. We aim to turn research into solutions that guide governance and service delivery.”



One Million Nigerians Apply for NELFUND Student Loans

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has announced that more than one million Nigerians have applied for student loans through its online portal since the scheme formally launched on May 24, 2024 — marking a historic moment in the country’s widening access to higher education financing.

The Fund also confirmed that over ₦116 billion has been disbursed so far to eligible students in public universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education, covering both tuition fees and living allowances

NELFUND’s Managing Director and Chief Executive, Mr. Akintunde Sawyerr in a statement on Sunday, described the milestone as a powerful reflection of renewed public confidence in government-backed social empowerment programmes.

“Crossing the one-million mark represents more than data; it represents renewed hope for a generation of Nigerians determined to rise above financial barriers to education,” Sawyerr said. “It is a testament to visionary leadership, sound policy design, and the collective efforts of stakeholders driving this transformative agenda.”

The Fund reaffirmed that the scheme is open to all students regardless of tribe, religion, or location, noting that equal access to education strengthens national unity and shared progress.

According to the statement, continuous improvements are underway to streamline processing, enhance transparency, and ensure that every qualified applicant receives support with dignity and fairness.

The initiative aligns with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which prioritises human capital development as a pathway to economic growth and national stability.