HigherEducation

NELFUND Pledges Swift Student Loan Disbursement After Delay Fix



The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) says it has resolved the technical glitches that caused months-long delays in student loan disbursements, promising that approved tuition fees will now reach institutions within five working days.

At a stakeholder meeting with The Polytechnic, Ibadan, NELFUND’s Director of Monitoring and Evaluation, Aliyu Mohammed, assured students and management of improved efficiency. “We are investing continuously in our systems to ensure timeliness, accountability, and impact,” he said. “All we ask is for schools and students to provide accurate and timely information.”

Mohammed added that over 6,000 student loan applications are currently being processed, with thousands already benefiting from the scheme. He emphasised that application procedures remain unchanged despite system upgrades.

Responding to concerns from the institution, Acting Rector Dr. Abiden Taiwo Lasis admitted that the school had mistakenly asked students to pay tuition upfront due to earlier delays. “We experienced an eight-month gap in receiving funds,” he explained. “We had to act to meet financial obligations like salaries and electricity bills. But we now trust NELFUND’s assurances of prompt disbursement.”

Dr. Florence Babalola, the school’s Director of ICT, confirmed that refunds are underway for 25 students whose tuition had already been covered by loans. “They’ve been asked to submit forms at the student affairs department for processing,” she said.

Gom Mirian -Report

JAMB Warns New Tertiary Institutions: “No More Backdoor Admissions”


Abuja – Nigeria, In a strong stance against illegal academic admissions, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has warned newly-approved and upgraded tertiary institutions across Nigeria to adhere strictly to due process or risk the nullification of student admissions.

At an interactive session in Abuja on Monday, JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, declared that all admissions must go through the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS), with no room left for regularization. “CAPS ensures transparency, fairness, and integrity. Institutions trying to bypass it are setting themselves up for failure,” he said.

The warning comes as over 80 new institutions were recently licensed by the Federal Government, including 22 universities, 33 polytechnics and monotechnics, and 12 colleges of education.

Prof.  Oloyede praised the Tinubu administration for expanding access to higher education but stressed that growth must be accompanied by compliance.

“JAMB will provide full technical support, but compliance is non-negotiable. Institutions must avoid shortcuts. There’s no justification for admitting students through the backdoor,” he warned.

The CAPS and Integrated Brochure and Syllabus System (IBASS), JAMB’s official platforms, were demonstrated live at the event. These systems now include institutional email integration to streamline communication.

Prof. William Qurix, Vice Chancellor of the Federal University of Applied Sciences, Kachia, admitted the session was enlightening. “JAMB has assured us of prompt support. This will greatly impact how we onboard students,” he said.

Education ministry officials and agency heads emphasized that resource verification and adherence to regulatory standards by the NUC, NBTE, and NCCE are essential.

“Only seven out of 15 upgraded colleges have met with the NUC. That must change,” said Dr. Uche Uba, Director of Colleges, Ministry of Education.

Gom Marian – Report

NELFUND Warns Schools: Stop Hiding Student Loan Payments or Face Legal Fire

NELFUND’S MD, Sawyerr

Abuja, Nigeria – The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has sounded a strong warning to tertiary institutions allegedly concealing student loan disbursements while still demanding fees from unsuspecting students.

In a statement issued by NELFUND’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Akintunde Sawyerr, the agency condemned what it described as a “deceptive and unethical practice” by some institutions that fail to inform students after receiving loan payments directly into their accounts.

“This act of withholding critical financial information from students is not only unethical but a direct violation of the principles upon which NELFUND was established,” said Sawyerr. “We will not hesitate to take legal action against any institution found engaging in such deceptive practices.”

NELFUND revealed it had uncovered several instances where students, despite qualifying and being approved for the government-backed loan scheme, were still pressured to pay school fees because institutions failed to update their payment records or notify them of disbursements.

The agency reaffirmed its commitment to expanding access to higher education in line with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, stressing the importance of institutional transparency.

“NELFUND exists to ensure no eligible Nigerian is denied the opportunity to pursue higher education due to lack of funds. We urge institutions to support this noble cause and avoid any actions that could undermine public trust,” Mr. Sawyerr added.

As the student loan scheme gains momentum nationwide, NELFUND urged students to report any discrepancies and assured the public of its dedication to fairness, accountability, and the successful rollout of the initiative.

Gom Marian-Report

JAMB Warns DE Candidates: Upload Results or Lose Admission

JAMB logo



The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has issued a stern warning to 2024 Direct Entry (DE) candidates who registered with awaiting results from the Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) and the Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB).

Candidates must upload their results immediately upon release or risk disqualification from the admission process.

“All candidates who applied for admission through the 2024 Direct Entry mode using awaiting results from IJMB or JUPEB should urgently visit any approved CBT center to upload their results as soon as they are released,” JAMB’s Public Communication Advisor, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, stated in a press release on Sunday.

The examination body stressed that no candidate would be considered for admission with awaiting results, a policy that aligns with its stance on the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

JAMB said that applications marked as “awaiting result” (AR) without subsequent updates would automatically be disqualified.

“Any application marked as ‘awaiting result’ that does not comply with this directive will be disqualified from admission consideration,” Benjamin warned. “Candidates without uploaded results will be regarded as not having any results.”

The advisory also urged prospective 2025 DE candidates to be proactive in ensuring their results are uploaded promptly upon release to enhance their admission prospects.

Gom Marian-Report