AcademicIntegrity

NUC Debunks False Claims, Defends Integrity of Accreditation System



The National Universities Commission (NUC) has firmly refuted viral social media claims alleging that Nigeria’s university accreditation process is a mere formality.

In a statement issued Today, the Commission described the assertions as “baseless and misleading,” warning that such narratives endanger the integrity of the country’s higher education system.

The rebuttal follows a post by one Taofik Olatubonsun, which suggested that universities with inadequate staffing still secure full accreditation from the NUC. “This claim is not only false but stems from an uninformed position,” said Prof. Abdullahi Yusufu Ribadu, Executive Secretary of the NUC.

The Commission reaffirmed that staffing is a core component of the accreditation process, evaluated through seven indicators, including verification of staff records during on-site visits. “Presenting temporary staff or falsifying records attracts sanctions,” Ribadu stressed.

He emphasised that the NUC’s peer-review approach—engaging independent subject experts for programme evaluations—has earned global recognition. “Countries like Namibia and Gambia have studied our quality assurance system, and foreign universities often rely on our accreditation for admissions decisions,” he added.

The NUC clarified that for any programme to earn full accreditation, it must achieve at least 70% in four key areas: Academic Matters, Staffing, Physical Facilities, and Library. “Full Accreditation does not mean perfection—it signifies acceptable performance with room for improvement,” Ribadu noted.

The Commission also underscored its internal review and ratification process to validate accreditation outcomes. “We remain committed to producing graduates who meet global standards,” Ribadu assured.

Calling for caution, the NUC urged stakeholders and the public to rely on verified sources. “Spreading unverified claims undermines our education system,” the Commission warned.

Gom Marian – Report

JAMB Debunks Closure Rumors, Keeps 2025 Direct Entry Registration Open


Abuja, Nigeria — The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has dismissed widespread rumours that the 2025 Direct Entry (DE) registration will close on Monday, April 7.

In a statement issued Saturday by Dr. Fabian Benjamin, JAMB’s Public Communication Advisor, the Board, clarified that the registration exercise, which began on March 12, remains ongoing until an official closing date is announced.

“There is no truth to the claim that registration ends on April 7,” Benjamin stated. “Candidates can continue to register at any of the Board’s accredited Professional Registration Centres (PRCs) beyond Monday.”

He emphasized that the extended registration window is deliberate, giving JAMB time to conclude investigations into candidates allegedly using fake A-Level results. According to him, several arrests have already been made, and further scrutiny is ongoing.

“We strongly advise candidates with questionable credentials to refrain from participating in the registration process,” he warned. “JAMB has implemented robust systems to detect fraudulent entries now and in the future.”

The Board also urged candidates who previously submitted fraudulent results to voluntarily withdraw from the process. “Our investigations are expanding to include already admitted students. Anyone implicated will be held accountable,” Benjamin cautioned.

JAMB’s firm stance comes amid growing concerns about academic fraud in Nigeria’s tertiary admission system. The Board says it is committed to preserving the integrity of the admission process and ensuring that only qualified candidates are granted access to higher education.

Gom Marian – Report