StayInformed

Fake Exam Alerts Flood Phones, JAMB Warns of Scam Threat


The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has alerted the public to fraudulent messages circulating via a spoofed version of its official 66019 shortcode.

The deceptive messages falsely instruct candidates—some of whom have already written their resit exams and received results—to reprint examination slips for another round of tests.

“These messages are not from JAMB,” says Dr. Fabian Benjamin, the board’s Public Communication Advisor. “No additional exams are currently scheduled for resit candidates who have already received their results.”

JAMB clarifies that the only upcoming examinations are for foreign candidates in nine countries across Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Africa. A mop-up exam is also planned—but strictly for those with biometric verification failures or valid waivers under the 2025 exception.

“These fraudulent messages are designed to cause confusion,” Dr. Benjamin adds. “We urge the public to disregard them entirely.”

JAMB stresses that all legitimate communications come exclusively from its verified platforms. Candidates eligible for the mop-up examination will be contacted directly once logistics are complete.

The examination body warns candidates to be vigilant and verify all information before taking action. Scammers, it says, are capitalizing on exam season anxiety to exploit unsuspecting students.

Dr. Benjamin concludes, “If you’re not contacted through our official channels, ignore the message. Stay informed, stay safe.”

Gom Mirian-Report

JAMB Debunks Closure Rumors, Keeps 2025 Direct Entry Registration Open


Abuja, Nigeria — The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has dismissed widespread rumours that the 2025 Direct Entry (DE) registration will close on Monday, April 7.

In a statement issued Saturday by Dr. Fabian Benjamin, JAMB’s Public Communication Advisor, the Board, clarified that the registration exercise, which began on March 12, remains ongoing until an official closing date is announced.

“There is no truth to the claim that registration ends on April 7,” Benjamin stated. “Candidates can continue to register at any of the Board’s accredited Professional Registration Centres (PRCs) beyond Monday.”

He emphasized that the extended registration window is deliberate, giving JAMB time to conclude investigations into candidates allegedly using fake A-Level results. According to him, several arrests have already been made, and further scrutiny is ongoing.

“We strongly advise candidates with questionable credentials to refrain from participating in the registration process,” he warned. “JAMB has implemented robust systems to detect fraudulent entries now and in the future.”

The Board also urged candidates who previously submitted fraudulent results to voluntarily withdraw from the process. “Our investigations are expanding to include already admitted students. Anyone implicated will be held accountable,” Benjamin cautioned.

JAMB’s firm stance comes amid growing concerns about academic fraud in Nigeria’s tertiary admission system. The Board says it is committed to preserving the integrity of the admission process and ensuring that only qualified candidates are granted access to higher education.

Gom Marian – Report